2011年2月25日金曜日

Cubs' Quade looking at Castro to stay in No. 2 spot

By Paul Sullivan

MESA, Ariz.-- Chicago Cubs manager Mike Quade already has his lineup ready for the Cactus League opener against Oakland on Sunday, but declined to reveal it before he spoke to the players.

Aramis Ramirez and Carlos Pena are likely in the Nos. 4 and 5 spots, with Starlin Castro in the No. 2 hole.

PHOTO GALLERY: Cubs at spring training

One thing for certain is that Castro won't be in the leadoff spot.

"I would prefer not to," Quade said. "It doesn't mean I won't."

Quade said the reason was Castro's inexperience, not the pressure involved in the prime-time spot in the order.

"He hasn't earned the right to figure he's going to hit anywhere, although he hit .300 in the No. 2 hole," Quade said. "I think I'm smart enough to say 'I'll take .300 in the two-hole again.'"

The Cubs ranked 11th among National League teams with a .251 average in the leadoff spot last year, and were dead last in runs scored (81). 

Quade wants Castro to be more selective at the plate before considering him in the leadoff spot. He also likes Castro's speed in the No. 2 spot, where he hit .307 in his rookie season.

"I love having him with the possibility of someone ahead of him on base, to shoot (one through) a hole," Quade said. "Because he runs well enough, he shouldn't hit into (a double play). So there's all sorts of value to where he's at now. I'd like to think he's going to be talented enough to possibly be that (leadoff) guy some day. But for right now... it'll be something we consider, but I'd just as soon leave him.

"I am leery, and I hope he proves me wrong, about the second year (slump). If we want this guy to play well and get off to a decent start, with all the adjustments that are going to be made by other clubs on him, if we leave him somewhere where we believes he's comfortable because he excelled there, at least we'd like to do that.

"But I'm a grown-up. I reserve my right to change. And you know what? Maybe Starlin makes all his adjustments and he makes the change. I don't make the change, and that's even better."

Source: http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/02/cubs-quade-looking-at-castro-to-remain-in-no-2-hole.html

New England Patriots Denver Broncos Arizona Cardinals Kansas City Chiefs San Francisco 49ers Seattle Seahawks

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿