2011年5月23日月曜日

They Said It: week of May 16

Friday, May 20, 2011

Colts owner Jim Irsay, quoted in the Indianapolis Star explaining that he does not think longtime offensive coordinator Tom Moore will have a role with the club next season: "I don't see that happening, but I never say never. I do think this year it is pretty certain he is not going to be doing anything for us. I think he'll probably go into retirement and see how it feels." Added Irsay: "When I talked with Tom, he was of the mindset that it's time for some of the young guys he trained, and he wants them to have that chance. But I wouldn't rule out him doing something for us in the future.''

Eagles special-teams coordinator Bobby April, discussing fourth-round PK Alex Henery, as quoted on philadelphiaeagles.com: "He's really a confident guy," April said. "He just has that confidence and mental toughness. He's self-assured and you have to be that way."

CB Carlos Rogers, who is not expected to be back in Washington in 2011, taking a shot at Redskins teammate DeAngelo Hall, as quoted on foxcarolina.com: "I wasn't the corner that gave up the most touchdowns or yards or first downs. But I'm the corner that is looked at (as) the second corner, (Management feels) I need to be replaced." Added Rogers: "I don't care. I (haven't said) nothing that ain't true."

Titans WR Marc Mariani, quoted on Tennessean.com on the shortened offseason because of the lockout: "Me being a rookie, I don't really know what a real offseason is like. But to me, 6-10 (the Titans' 2010 record) wasn't good enough. I think it would be more beneficial to be working together as a team and building the foundation for this season." Added Mariani: "Free time is what it is and I guess everybody does what they feel they want to. But this is our job … I just wish we could be together and working out and building that camaraderie for 2011."

Steelers OLB LaMarr Woodley, telling the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review he is not worried about the NFL lockout lasting into the season — yet: "I'll get concerned if it's July 20th and nothing's worked out because (then) we're getting closer to training camp, and I know they still have to sign the free agents, sign the rookies." Added Woodley on the impact of missing OTAs: "We don't have to get timing down. I don't know if (the lockout) affects the offense, but it doesn't affect us at all."

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Former Cowboys RB Herschel Walker, quoted on star-telegram.com on the direction the club is heading: "I think the best thing to happen was for Jason [Garrett] to take over. … He's cut from the cloth of coach [Tom] Landry. One thing that Jason did is, guys have to have respect for the sport."

Chiefs WR-RB Dexter McCluster, explaining what he learned during his rookie season, as quoted on kansascity.com: "I'll tell you one thing: It's going to be nice to see what I'm going to do this year after that first-year experience. The main thing I learned is I have to know my stuff. I played running back and I played wide receiver and I played slot receiver, so I have to know a lot to be on top of my game. That was the major adjustment for me. They're not looking for excuses." Added McCluster: "Success does not come overnight. You've got to work, you've got to grind. You're going to go through hard times and you're going to go through high times. So nobody is perfect. I gave it my best, and I'll continue to give it my best."

Bears LB Lance Briggs, quoted in the Chicago Sun-Times after hearing that his offensive teammates were gathering for unofficial voluntary workouts: ''Offensive guys are getting together? Great for them. And the stuff that guys around the league are doing is fine and great for them. But that's a team-by-team deal. That's something we'll address [on defense] as we get closer to a decision." Added Briggs on Brian Urlacher's comments earlier this week that the Bears are the best team in the division: "We stack up well against anybody — it doesn't matter who they are. We got the core, and we have a good number of young guys, too. So that puts us right there with the elite. But it's a proving game. It doesn't matter if I say we're the best or [Urlacher] says we're the best. You have to do it when you get on the field.''

Hall of Fame QB Roger Staubach, quoted on kctv5.com about Cowboys QB Tony Romo: "We've got a Super Bowl quarterback. … I really believe that the league is so close in parity … and Dallas is the kind of team with (head coach) Jason (Garrett) that they can be right there in the thick of it this year. And they have the quarterback that can do it."

Patriots S Jarrad Page, quoted in the Boston Herald on training for mixed martial arts: "It's really hard on you, but you're not saying, 'I can't do it.' We make it through it. The more you do it, the easier it gets to make it through an uncomfortable situation." Added Page: "It's about being explosive. It's a lot of stuff you can relate to the field. It teaches you body control, helps put body parts exactly where you want to put them. Football is a violent sport. There's no better training."

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Bills rookie DL Marcell Dareus is looking forward to showing the Panthers and Broncos that they made a mistake by passing on him in last month's draft, as quoted on NFL.com: "If I ever get a chance to play Carolina I'm going to make them pay for passing up on me. Denver I'll get a chance to play them in the regular season and I'm going to make it hell for them every time I play against them." Dareus continued: "My sole focus was for me not to give you a reason to not pick me and you still don't? Okay, I understand you have needs somewhere else, but if you need somebody to control your front and be a commander across the front and not let anything happen? I work my butt off to do that, and you pass me up still? OK, I've got something for you."

Eagles DE Trent Cole, quoted on philly.com after coming in at No. 73 on the list of NFL Network's Top 100 players of 2010: "That's a low number being rated at but I at least made the top 100," he wrote on Twitter. "I'm used to being underrated so I laugh. I will just have to keep doing things on the field … Whoever is doing the rating on players wake the hell up and smell what this country boy is cookin!" Added Cole: "Well, if they say it is rated by the players that's a lie. Underrated will not be a word anymore after this year because it's officially banned from the Cole Camp. To my fans, we have to put a stop to me being underrated. Well I just tell them don't rate me ever again or use my name on any list."

Lions WR Nate Burleson is excited about where QB Matthew Stafford is in his recovery from a season-ending shoulder injury, as quoted in the Detroit Free Press: "Yeah, he looks really good. It's good to see Matt out here zipping that ball around. It's what I saw and felt when I first got to Detroit last season, which was Matt at his best. He's looking pretty good right now."

Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome, quoted in the Baltimore Sun on DT Terrence Cody, whom Newsome envisions breaking out this season: "Cody's going to have a great year this year. So if someone is going to step up — he also appreciates playing next to Haloti Ngata — so I would say Terrence Cody." Added Newsome: "He got a taste of [the pro level]. He understands his role within the defense."

Source: http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/05/20/they-said-it-week-of-may-16

Penn State Nittany Lions Alabama Crimson Tide Clemson Tigers Florida Gators Northwestern Wildcats Wichita State University

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿